Campaign Code of Conduct
The Vote Pinky Vargas Campaign stands for Integrity, Inclusion, and Safety in our team. We will represent these values in all manners while being a representative of the Vote Pinky Vargas Campaign.
All campaign workers – candidates, paid staff, interns, and contractors who will work with other campaign workers – as well as volunteers who will supervise others will be required to acknowledge and agree to this code of conduct as a condition of employment. This code of conduct will be made visible to everyone who works on a Vote Pinky Vargas campaign.
The goal of this document is to ensure that each member understands the expectations around integrity and the campaign team feels valued, safe, and supported within the team structure. To that end, in addition to being a condition for employment, this document is intended to serve a dual purpose: to ensure that all members of the campaign team undergo explicit education in the expectation that the campaign leadership have defined and to ensure that resources for taking appropriate action are available, should they prove necessary.
I, _________________________, understand that the following values, policies, and practices govern all employees, volunteers, contractors, vendors, and others working with the Vote Pinky Vargas Campaign (the “Campaign”). I hereby agree to abide by the following as a requirement of my involvement with the Campaign, and understand that failure to do so may result in my dismissal:
I understand that the candidate in this campaign, Pinky Vargas will lead by example and is an equal party to this code of conduct and is equally answerable to these policies.
The Campaign expects all employees, volunteers, contractors, vendors, and others to respect the rights and opinions of others, and to refrain from behavior that impairs our mission, purpose, or culture of empowerment in the workplace.
The Campaign is deeply committed to integrity, fairness and maintaining a work environment that is based on truth and ethical values and is free from any kind of harassment, bullying, or discrimination.
As a member of the campaign team I understand and agree to the following:
- Our campaign will operate in integrity at all times, will verify all information, and will not comment or be influenced by hearsay and third party rumors.
- We will be positive, civil and not perpetuate any untruths, about other candidates.
- Our campaign will ensure there is no conflict of interest in team members or funding, that we work solely on one campaign, all connections will be transparent to all associated political parties.
- Behavior that causes or threatens to harm any person connected with the Campaign, physically or emotionally, or causes reasonable apprehension of such harm or subjecting another to a substantial risk of such harm;
- Conduct that is unbecoming, discriminatory, harassing, or otherwise disempowering will not be tolerated.
- Physical or verbal threats against, extreme disrespect to, or intimidation of any person which results in limiting her/his full participation in all aspects of the Campaign;
- Activity that constitutes discrimination because of age, race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, or marital or relationship status;
- Engaging in disorderly conduct such as fighting; threatening behavior; sexual, gender-based, or other harassment; public disturbance; or drunk and disorderly conduct; and
- Other behavior inconsistent with the standard of conduct expected of the Campaign or its commitment to providing an environment conducive to progress, empowerment, and political leadership.
The Campaign does not tolerate any form of sexual harassment, or sexual misconduct. Sexual harassment may include sexual advances, sexual solicitation, requests for sexual favors, or other verbal or physical conduct that is of a sexual nature. Sexual misconduct includes behavior that falls short of the legal definition of sexual harassment, but nonetheless is unprofessional, inappropriate, and inconsistent with our cultural values.
The Campaign will pay our employees a fair wage for their time and effort on this campaign. We
expect all employees and contractors to treat one another, other candidates, and the public equitably, fairly, and with professionalism and respect at all times.
The Campaign is an equal opportunity employer. All employees and job applicants will be treated fairly and equitably, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.
The Campaign encourages its employees or contractors to report behavior that is unprofessional, inappropriate, unfair, or inequitable.
Retaliation for reporting inappropriate behavior will not be tolerated. The Campaign is committed to ensuring that no employee experiences an adverse effect or consequence as a result of speaking up.
The Campaign is committed to creating a safe and violence-free work environment and will not tolerate violence or threats of violence of any kind.
The Campaign encourages its employees, contractors, volunteers, and others to take action to make our community and workplace better. That means we all need to do our part to create an environment that is more empowering, equitable, and enjoyable for all who wish to be a part of our campaign. This includes reporting misconduct and/or identifying inappropriate behavior as such when we observe it as bystanders.
Any time I feel that the Campaign could be doing better, I understand that the Campaign encourages me to speak up and share my concerns with my supervisor or another trusted employee. The Campaign believes that employees, volunteers, and others have an obligation to do their part to create a culture that is supportive and free from intimidation or bias.
If, for whatever reason, I do not wish to talk to my supervisor about a concern, I understand that the following campaign advisors have agreed to be points of contact and are committed to taking my concerns seriously and will work with me to respond to the situation in accordance with my wishes. What I discuss with these individuals will remain confidential until I choose otherwise.
The Campaign knows that it is impossible to identify every possible scenario in one document. To that end, we rely on each other’s judgment and willingness to take action in order to ensure that we maintain a workplace culture that is equitable and empowering. If I am not sure how this code applies to a certain situation, I understand that I should seek clarification from my supervisor, another trusted colleague, or one of the campaign advisors listed above.
AGREED AND ACCEPTED:
_______________________________ Print name